Regardless of the type, every building owner wants to get the most out of their commercial property. To start, the roof is the commercial building’s first line of defense against natural hazards such as wind, rain, fire, hail, ice, snow, and extreme heat. Every day, commercial roofs are exposed to weather and other elements that may contribute to decay and deterioration, increasing the risk of damage to the roof itself and the contents below it. This makes commercial roof maintenance paramount in building safety and efficiency.
The most effective way to maximize roof performance and increase its life cycle is a proactive and preventative approach to maintenance. Preventative maintenance includes regularly scheduled inspections, periodic repairs of roofing parts and the addition of reflective coatings. This article overviews roof warning signs and preventative maintenance care.
Commercial Roof Maintenance Warning Signs
A roof is a relatively simple part of any building, but it plays an important role in protecting it in more ways than most people might assume. A well-sealed roof protects the interior from inclement weather, but a properly designed roof also provides structural support, fire resistance and more.
The slightest damage such as a tear in the outer layer or warped asphalt sealant could pose a major risk. Experienced maintenance professionals will make a point to inspect a roof on a regular basis and look for these common warning signs.
• Excess standing water, also known as ponding, is the accumulation of standing water on a roof over time. This can lead to dangerous defects, including leaks that eventually allow mold to grow. Excess moisture can also weaken support beams below the roof’s surface.
• Bubbles in roof cover surface in the presence of too much moisture and heat. While most materials that cover a roof are designed to be flexible, it can occasionally grow into bubbles that leave the roof more susceptible to leaks or wind damage.
• Flashing gaps are spaces between flashing strips that may present themselves over time as they expand and contract due to weather conditions. This can lead to roof cover failure during periods of high rain and wind.
Routine Inspections & Commercial Roof Maintenance
Inspections. We recommend having your roof inspected at least twice a year, once in the spring and once in the fall. Your local roofing professional should:
• Inspect drains and downspouts to make sure they are clear of blockage that will inhibit proper drainage.
• Check penetrations and flashings for any gaps or tears.
• Inspect rooftop vents and equipment to make sure they are well sealed.
• Look for any signs of damage to the roof and recommend solutions.
• Examine all drains and scuppers to ensure they open.
Routine Repairs. Some repairs to a roof could be made the same day as the inspection, but often must be scheduled in advance. These repairs are often quick fixes to common problems, if left untreated, could lead to a serious liability in structural safety.
To cover gaps or cracks that may develop over time, local roofing professionals may employ various materials like mastics, a flexible, high-grade adhesive, which is more durable under the long-term stresses of heat, cold and rain exposure.
Reflective Coatings. In conjunction with routine repairs, reflective coatings can help combat the elements. High-quality reflective coatings are UV-resistant and can withstand hash environmental conditions. Look for reflective coating that contains a substantial amount of aluminum paste.
There are a variety of reflective coating options, so consult your local roofing professional to determine which would be the best value and fit for your specific roof.
Know When to Repair Your Roof
If your roof has excess standing water or bubbles in roof cover, it may be time to schedule a routine maintenance. To maximize your investment, hire an experienced, skilled, and well-reviewed roofing company, like Preman Roofing.
Preman Roofing has been servicing the San Diego area since 1999 with the same mission: to deliver safe and ethical roofing services to families and businesses in San Diego and the surrounding communities based on a foundation of communication, strong work ethic, and caring for others. We provide a variety of roofing services, including repair and replacement for both residential and commercial properties. With each job, we do, our customers have the opportunity to speak with multiple experts to get the best possible custom roofing experience, with all construction performed within a week. It’s obvious why our customers are thrilled to give us rave reviews. Whatever roofing maintenance or service you need, contact Preman Roofing today to get all your roofing issues taken care of.