If you see water stain marks on your walls or ceiling after a rain, you can bet almost 100% of the time that there’s a leak in your roof. For information on roof repair from the top roofing contractor in San Diego, contact Preman Roofing-Solar today.
But the source of a roof leak isn’t always easy to find. Sometimes, the stain marks show up far from where the actual leak is, and this can be a major headache for any homeowner.
Additionally, the results of the roof leak can be unsightly, and it can compromise your health (mold growth inside the walls and other parts of the home). When you suspect that there’s a roof leak in your home, you need to take action right away to curb the damage.
Investigating a Roof Leak
Locating the source of a roof leak is a matter of trial and error. Small leaks are harder to find because you need to cover a lot of ground before being able to pinpoint the exact location of the problem.
Sometimes, the leak may be due to a burst pipe or HVAC issue, and this requires a different kind of repair.
Finding a roof leak typically involves the following steps:
1. Trace where the leak is coming from inside your home. Wall and ceiling stains are good indicators of a roof leak, so make sure to take note of their locations.
2. Go into the attic and check the underside of the roof for any seepage. You can almost immediately see where the problem is by checking the rafters or roof decking for any water trails.
3. Look for the obvious culprits. Usually, it’s a damaged shingle, which can be easily replaced. Sometimes, water enters through chimneys, skylights, and ridge vents so make sure to check those for any sign of seepage.
4. If you still can’t trace the source, hose down different areas of the roof. You may ask a family member or neighbor to do this while you investigate where the leak is. Start from the lowest part of the roof and work your way up.
5. Measure the location of the leak using two fixed points. Climb up the roof and apply the indoor measurements to the exterior. Take into account the depth of the exterior walls.
If you still can’t find the source of the roof leak, it’s time to check other possible sources of the problem. A plumbing situation can cost hundreds of dollars, so before you go into repair mode, make sure that you have eliminated all the possible causes of a roof leak.
The most sensible thing to do when you find a roof leak is to have it repaired ASAP.
If you’re going the DIY route, you need to have at least some basic knowledge of roof repair. Otherwise, you could do more harm than good. Moreover, you need to make sure to have all the needed materials and tools on hand, so you don’t waste time in doing your project. Roof cement is usually enough for sealing the problem areas on your roof.
You can also get the help of a professional repairman to take care of the repairs. A qualified professional can quickly restore your roof’s condition, so you don’t have to worry about having drips in your home.
If the damage done by the roof leak is extensive, a roof replacement might just be the one your home needs. Installation of a new roof ensures that your home won’t suffer the same fate again.
Roofing Contractor in San Diego
Preman Roofing-Solar offers proper roofing services from installation to maintenance. As the top roofing contractor in San Diego, we pride ourselves on providing homeowners modern and cost-effective ways on repairing roofs. Request a residential roofing quote today.